Shed operations restricted following accident
4 July 2019
- Full operations have now resumed, although the large panel saw is still out of action.
- Put Wednesday 24 July in your diary for a re-opening celebration. Lunch at 12:00.
13 June 2019
- Repairs are largely complete. The new roller door was fitted today and the skip full of demolition rubble has been removed.
- We are expecting full operations of the Shed will resume in the next week or so, with the first order of business being a massive cleanup.
The new roller door is a big improvement on the old one! It opens with a simple button-push rather than a manuale heave!
23 May 2019
- Work has started on repairs to the Shed building following the accident in March. The building contractor erected safety and security fencing in preparation for work to be carried out in the next 3 or 4 weeks.
- The Shed will be open as usual while the work is under way.
- There will be no access from Orient Street.
- Access is by the rear door and the best parking is in the Showground car park, accessed from Woodlands Road, through the informal Hospital car park.
10 May 2019
- This week, our injured member was able to make his first visit to the Shed since the accident. He enjoyed a cup of tea and a chat with the other members present. He is making a very good recovery.
- The Counci have ppointed a building contractor to undertake the repair work. Some of the committee members met with the contracto earlier in the week and have agreed to some working arrangements. We are hopefull that the repairs will be completed arounf the end of June.
- In the meantime, we are hoping to resume limited workshop operations in part of the workshop in the coming weeks. However, the nature of the repair work may require further closures.
10 April 2019
- Great news today, our injured members is home from hospital. he still has a way to go in his recovery, but at least in the comfort of his own home.
- The Shed is operating well in the rear section of the building. It just goes to show that the Men's Shed is far more than a shared workshop. The Treasurer had trouble getting his job done because there was too many distracting chats going on.
3 April 2019
- The Shed will resume operations on Thursday 4 April. Operations will be limited to the rear section of the building.
- We will have use of the kitchen, computer facilities and the 'quiet room'.
- The workshop area will be not operating and will be off-limits until the building repairs are completed. This is a requirement of the Council and the building contractor and is for the safety of the Shed members and the workers doing the repair work.
- Access to the Shed building will be through the rear of the building and the side door will remain locked.
- Members and guests are requested to use the Showground parking area, which is accessed from Woodlands Road. Walk below the grandstand and then up the hill to the back of the Shed building.
- The Shed will open at the normal time, but may close earlier than normal.
28 March 2019
- On Wednesday 20 March 2019 a motor vehicle incident occurred at the Katoomba Men's Shed (KMS).
- The incident involved a member and his vehicle.
- Our member was injured and is recovering in hospital.
- KMS thanks the emergency services for their prompt attendance and their care for our member
- Due to damage to the building the Shed will be closed until the necessary safety and insurance inspections are completed.
- The building will require repair, but we hope to be able to resume limited operations while the repairs take place. Further closures may be required at critical stages of the repairs.
- KMS thanks the Blue Mountains City Council for their prompt action in securing the building and their ongoing cooperation in planning repairs.
- Some workshop equipment and internal fittings have been damaged, but we will not know the full extent of the damage until we have access to the building. It is reasonable to expect that workshop operations may be affected for some time.
- We are planning to have a member function in the next week to better inform members on the situation and allow them to ask questions.
KMS Management Committee