Why do men join the Shed?
While some men enjoy the mateship of the workshop, others just want a cuppa and a chat.
There are many reasons that men choose to join the Katoomba Men's Shed:
- Some men like to share the company of other men. The Shed is the main social activity outside the home for a number of members, while others participate on other community organisations as well as the Men's Shed.
- Some men join to follow a specific interest, such as computing, woodwork, metalwork or electronics.
- Some men like to just come in for a yarn to the other members.
- Some men join just to get access to specific workshop equipment for their own projects. These members tend to attend only when they need to use the equipment.
- Some men are actively involved in managing and running the Shed. There are a lot of things that need to be done behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly.
- Some men join for one reason and later become more heavily involved.
Ultimately, it is up to the member to decide what they want to do.
The is good evidence that juts being involved in something like the Men's Shed improved health outcomes for men. But you have to particiupate to get the benefit. Being a member and not coming along does not work!
One thing to keep in mind is that you need to give it a fair go before you know. You probably need to come along at least 6 times before you will really know if it will work for you. This time allows ypou to get to know a few men and become comfortable in the new environment. if it does not work for you, that is OK. There is no compulsion.